SOCIO / 223676529 / firstname.lastname@example.org
JAVIER EDWARDS R.
Prior to joining Palma Edwards Veszpremy, he was a founding partner of EDN Abogados.
Previously, he worked as a lawyer for Central Bank of Chile (1983-1995), Legal Manager of Minera Escondida Limitada (1995-2000), Legal Manager of Lan Airlines (2000-2001), Legal Manager of Global Wholesale Banking and Treasury of BBVA Chile (2001-2007), Legal Director of BBVA Branch Office in New York (2007-2011), and Director of Legal and Insurance Affairs of Finning Sudamérica (2012-2016). In the exercise of these positions he has provided legal advice in corporate, commercial, financial, regulatory, transactional and managerial matters of wide range with exposure throughout the field of corporate legal advice in business law.
He has more than twenty-five years of professional experience specialized in corporate, financial, banking, economic, commercial, energy and natural resources law.
He is a lawyer graduated from the Universidad de Chile and has the following postgraduate degrees: Master of Law of the European Union from the Autonomous University of Barcelona, graduated in Foreign Trade and International Financing from the University of Barcelona, LL.M. (Master) in Corporate, Financial and Banking Law from Fordham University, New York.
Additionally, he has been a professor of economic and financial law at the Universidad Andrés Bello, Universidad del Desarrollo and Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, and has participated as a visiting professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona and the Universidad de Barcelona Spain.
- Universidad de Chile, Degree in Law and Social Sciences (with honors), 1987.
- Title of Lawyer granted by the Supreme Court of Justice, 1990.
- Universidad de Barcelona, Diploma in International Trade and Finance (with honors), Spain, 1992.
- Universidad de Barcelona, LL.M. in European Studies – European Union Law (with honors), Spain, 1992.
- Fordham University, LL.M. in Banking, Corporate and Financial Law (with honors), School of Law, New York, United States of America, 2011.
Academic activities and publications
- Professor of Economic Integration Law (new topics, strategies and legal instruments), Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello, 1993.
- Professor of Economic Law I (Economic Policy), Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello, Faculty of Law, 1993-1995.
- Professor of Master in European Studies, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona.
- Professor of Master in Financial and Commercial Techniques, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Barcelona: Seminar in English “The Other Economic Integrations and International Agreements between Private Law Parties: Incidence in the European Common Market”, 1993-1995.
- Professor of Banking Law, Universidad Finis Terrae, Chile, Faculty of Law, 2013.
- Professor of Project Financing, Post-graduate faculty of Universidad Del Desarrollo, Chile, 2012-2018.
- Professor of Financing of Projects, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, Law School, 2015.
- Professor Commercial Law II, Universidad Del Desarrollo, as of March 2019.
- Professor of Economic Legislation, Universidad Del Desarrollo, as of March 2019.
“The EU’s Outside Borders: Other Integrations” Seminar, 1993-1995.
- Senior lawyer, Central Bank of Chile, 1990-1995.
- Prosecutor, Minera Escondida Limitada, 1995-2000.
- Chief Lawyer, LAN Group (today LATAM), 2000-2001.
- Legal Manager of Global Wholesale Banking and Investment Banking, Treasury, Mutual Funds and Stock Exchange Broker, Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, Chile 2001-2007.
- Executive Director of Legal Services (General Counsel), Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, New York Branch, 2007-2012.
- Director of Legal Affairs and Insurance, Finning Sudamerica, 2012-2016.
- Founding Partner of EDN Abogados, 2016-2018.
- Partner Palma Edwards Veszpremy, 2018 to date.
- Senior Lawyer at the Central Bank of Chile, participated in the drafting of new regulations reflecting the entry into force of the system of free exchange market and foreign investment regime that has defined -without prejudice to conjunctural changes- the current system in the matter for more than 20 years.
- In his capacity as Legal Manager of companies of the size of Minera Escondida Limitada, Lan Airlines (now Latam Airlines), BBVA Chile and BBVA New York Branch, Finning South America, he has participated in local and international transactions related to the development of mining exploitations; local and regional expansions; local and international financing (bilateral, syndicated, project, structured, bond issuances and commercial papers, securitizations, among other forms of capital and investment raising); mergers, acquisitions and divisions; defining corporate structures and governments; internal regulatory processes to meet standards of regulatory compliance; representation of the governments of Chile on environmental issues related to mining (International Maritime Organization, Basel Convention on Transport of Hazardaous Wastes); negotiation with local and foreign authorities regarding the application and scope of exchange, customs and environmental regulations; definition of litigious strategy in arbitration matters associated with large-scale contracts, among other matters of first level addressed in the exercise of its function as Corporate Legal Manager.
- Represented Finning Chile and Caterpillar Inc. in the sale of the Finning subsidiary to the Paraguayan company Petersen.
- Represented BCI and BICE Banks in financing Club Deal modality of Territorial Real Estate Project (Santiago, Chile).
- Represented ENC Energy Portugal in restructuring companies Holding ENC Energy in Chile.
- Represented ENC Energy in the drafting and negotiation of the EPC contract – for the construction of a biogas generation plant, with Hidronor.
- Chilean Bar Association A.G.
- Member of the Belgo Luxemburgish Chamber of Commerce of Chile A.G.
- Member of the Chilean North American Chamber of Commerce, New York
- Associated with the International Bar Association, IBA.
- Spanish, English and French.